VP, Enrollment Management
Date: Sep 13, 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
POSITION TITLE: Vice President of Enrollment Management
REPORTS TO: President Michael J. Sorrell
LOCATION: Dallas, Texas
Paul Quinn College is a private, faith-based, four-year liberal arts college founded by and affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The College was founded in Austin, Texas on April 4, 1872, and is one of the nation’s Minority Serving Institutions.
Mission: We provide a quality, faith-based education that addresses the academic, social, and Christian development of students and prepares them to be servant leaders and agents of change in their communities.
Living Philosophies: Paul Quinn's institutional ethos is "WE Over Me" and the guiding principles are the “Four L's of Quinnite Leadership”:
LEAVE places better than you found them.
LEAD from wherever you are.
LIVE a life that matters.
LOVE something greater than yourself.
Christian Philosophy of Education: We are committed to holistically developing our students with a Christian perspective of the world. Although our programs are designed for students who desire to learn in a Christian community, we welcome students of all faiths who are willing to follow the policies, practices, and educational objectives of the institution. The College is committed to providing an exceptional liberal arts education. As a Christian institution, we will encourage our students to be actively engaged as servant leaders and global citizens.
Accreditation: Paul Quinn College is a member of the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS), having been awarded accredited status as a Category II institution by the TRACS Accreditation Commission on April 13, 2011; this status is effective for a period of five years. TRACS is recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE), the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), and the International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE).
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has granted a Certificate of Authority to Paul Quinn College to award the following degrees: Bachelor of Science degrees in Business Administration (Accounting, Management), Legal Studies, Teacher Education (Physical Education and Early Childhood to Sixth Grade Teacher Certification), Biology, and Computer Science. This certificate does not constitute accreditation; it attests only to the institution having met the Board’s standards established for non-exempt institutions.
President Michael J. Sorrell
Michael J. Sorrell is the 34th President of Paul Quinn College. Under his leadership, the school is experiencing one of the great turnarounds in higher education history. Michael’s vision is to permanently transform PQC into a nationally elite small college by focusing on innovation, academic rigor, and servant leadership.
Among the school’s numerous accomplishments during President Sorrell’s seven year tenure have been: winning the 2011 HBCU of the Year, the 2012 HBCU Student Government Association of the Year and Male President of the Year, and the 2013 HBCU Business Program of the Year awards; being recognized as a member of the 2013 President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll; demolishing 15 abandoned campus buildings; partnering with PepsiCo and philanthropist Trammell S. Crow to transform the unused football field into the two acre “WE over Me Farm”; achieving full-accreditation from the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS); earning six consecutive unqualified audits; enrolling the top academic class in school history; establishing the Presidential Scholars Program; adopting a school-wide business casual dress code; securing the three largest single donor gifts in the history of the institution; regularly achieving six- and seven-figure year-end budget surpluses; and restructuring the curriculum.
Michael received his J.D. and M.A. in Public Policy from Duke University and is currently a doctoral student at the University of Pennsylvania. While in law school, he was one of the founding members of the Journal of Gender Law & Policy and served as the Vice President of the Duke Bar Association. Michael was a recipient of the Sloan Foundation Graduate Fellowship, which funded his studies at both Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government (as a graduate fellow) and Duke University. He graduated from Oberlin College with a B.A. in Government, served as Secretary-Treasurer of his senior class, was a two-time captain of the men’s varsity basketball team, and graduated as the school’s fifth all-time leading scorer.
For more information about Paul Quinn College, please visit http://www.pqc.edu/
The Vice President of Enrollment Management will serve as a key member of the College’s the leadership team. The VP of Enrollment Management will be responsible for increasing the school’s enrollment through the implementation of aggressive recruiting and retention programs. These programs will be expected to attract a diverse group of students
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Develop and drive execution of recruiting strategies targeting diverse and multicultural populations.
- Plan, organize and drive events and activities to attract prospective students.
- Manage on-going one-on-one contact with prospective students via in person interactions, and phone and email correspondence to provide support throughout the application process.
- Serve as a PQC ambassador in interactions with prospective students and key stakeholders (current students, PQC staff, Board).
- Embody the Paul Quinn College culture and philosophy in his/her work.
- Manage a team of direct reports to consist of Enrollment Management, Financial Aid, and eventually, the College’s Student Affairs team – “Civic Engagement, Entrepreneurship, and Leadership”.
- Preferred candidate will demonstrate a strong, personal record of achievement as a leader and relationship-builder with the vision and operational experience necessary to manage this critical area.
- Ensure adherence with all school and ethical standards, and compliance with all federal, state, college, and accreditation requirements.
- Ability to recruit up to 300 students for upcoming term; thereafter, to recruit 500 students annually.
Location and Travel
- Candidates for the post the VP of Enrollment Management must be willing to make Dallas, Texas their primary place of residence. Appropriate travel for meetings with prospective students and relevant organizations is an ongoing requirement of the position.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- A minimum of 8+ years of relevant and demonstrated experience in recruiting students, student retention, and financial aid management in a higher education environment.
- Ability to form strong, strategic relationships with key high school networks (such as the Cristo Rey Network), charter schools and relevant higher education organizations.
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to relate effectively with students, faculty, administrators, staff and the public.
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals who are different from him/herself and commitment to cultural pluralism.
- Equally comfortable with speaking and presenting to large and small groups. Ability to serve as a spokesperson for Paul Quinn College.
- Quality-driven, results-focused approach to work, and a strong attention to detail.
- Passion for team-based work with clear dedication for fostering positive, collegial relationships.
- Strong sense of initiative with good judgment on when to work independently and involve team as needed.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize competing tasks and projects within dynamic, changing environment.
- Willing and able to travel and work evenings and weekends as necessary.
This position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited, non-profit college or university. Master’s degree preferred.
Paul Quinn College has retained Futurestep for this search and agency submissions will not be considered. All enquires will be addressed in strictest confidence and interested candidates are kindly requested to apply directly to Futurestep online at http://careers.futurestep.com/
Practice Leader, Non-profit and Higher Education
Futurestep, Korn Ferry
Individuals new to Futurestep must register at our web site: www.careers.futurestep.com
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segments: Manager, Computer Science, Curriculum, Marketing Manager, Scientific, Management, Technology, Education, Marketing, Engineering